Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Appam in 4 hours!

Today is special! I have 100 followers in my list!!! It feels like I have accomplished something great today! It would not be fair if I don't fill in a post for this most special day. Thank you my dear dedicated blog lovers! You all rock!

So appam, the one breakfast item which always runs strong as lunch, snack, dinner or at anytime in my house! The fermented rice pancake is savored with meat curry,  egg curry, stew, green peas curry or black chana dal curry. Its soft and fluffy texture wins all hearts. Its the only one dish Omy allows me to repeat every other day!

This recipe was born because of my inefficient american blender and for the easiness with which a dinner can be put together in a short notice.  Thanks to the rapid rise  YEAST! Appam and chicken stew always tops my 'Short notice comfort successful dinner party' menu! 

The blender I had could never grind coconuts properly. The first 2-3 trials were a huge disaster as I could bite into the coconuts easily! Also, waiting for the batter to ferment the whole night?what if the yeast wasn't active?

This one is with coconut milk and rapid rise yeast and it can never go wrong and its all set to go in like 4-5 hours including grinding, fermentation and making!!

I grind the batter afternoon and by dinner time fresh and hot appams vanish at the dining table in fraction of a second!

Rice                2 cups
( long grain/idli rice/basmati rice)  
cooked rice     1 cup
cocnut milk    1 cup
water             1/2 cup
Salt                1 tsp
Sugar             1 tsp
YEAST           2 tsp
(Fleishmann's Active Dry)
Milk               1/3 cup


Grind together these into fine batter.. dripping consistency. My blender takes exact 11 minutes.
Dissolve yeast in warm water along with sugar. In like 5-8 minutes, it doubles up in volume.
Combine yeast and batter and keep it for 4-5hours!


If the fermentation is not happening or if its winter, place the batter inside the oven with the oven light on! The heat inside will enhance fermentation.

Just before we make appams, check the batter consistency. The coconut milk might make it a little more thicker. Pour 1/2 cup milk and confirm the dripping consistency.
Make them in the 'appam chatty' or on a deep open pan.
Cover it up and cook for 1-2 minutes. It cooks in the steam and do not flip it over!



Omy enjoying appam and chocolates chips.. his way!

16 comments:

  1. Appam looks so soft and yum with the special lacey effect on the sides.Also loved Omy babies way of having Appam with chocolate Chips.Congrats on your milestone dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love appam n many hv confused me with diff ingr..i will def try this it sounds so easy n yummy n ur kid is njoying appam with choco chips very cute..Congrats too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omy is looking all grown up in this picture ~ I like his way of eating appam with choco chips :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachu,

    Congratulations on this achievement! I have never made appam at home and your easy recipe calls out to me to make it. Loved Omy's way of having Appam.

    Regards,
    Seema
    amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com
    seemabbas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aappam has out so soft and perfect... Would be great with muttai curry..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appam in 4 hrs..sounds nie..perfect lacy ones..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats dear on achieving the milestone... best wishes for more such achievements.. Your little prince looks grown up... loved the way he is enjoying appam... wonderful recipe:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love appams...I have posted one too. Do check when time permits..
    Binitha,
    yourstastefully.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Appam looks stunning and tempting, it's crisp and perfect. Iam coming :) Wishes on having reached 100 followers dear.

    http://sanscurryhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey me too make appams with yeast called mc douglas...sure it comes out well rachu...its so difficult otherwise to ferment....ur son is surely njoing his share...appams look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow..Count me in.am so gonna make this.Aapam look very inviting and delicious , of course..
    I love ur page, looks crisp n neat , by the way, how did u put the gadgets inside the box ??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, appam made in 4 hours!!! I am really excited. Congrats for your achievement. Hey Rachu, one more thing never knew that appam and chocolate chips are a great combination... :)(Omy taught me).

    ReplyDelete
  13. u know Appam is my absolute fav kerela dish .. i could eat that for meal every single day with some spicy gravy. If only I knew how to make it and if only i could buy that vessel. Thanks for sharing dear.. gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the appams.. appam and chocolate chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey...i made ur appams tonight for dinner....loved it....well can refrigerate da balance batter??? will it turn out good for da next day morning??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shabnam: Mostly i don't keep it for next day as it becomes thick. If you have remains you can try to add some milk and lighten it and try it or just make thick sided appams with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments.