Shopping with my kid is no more a challenge. This is one recipe which i save for those long shopping afternoons. Hungry kids make for grumpy kids. So soon after breakfast or lunch is the perfect time to go shopping. I make sure I fill up my little buddy's tummy with pasta and veggie sauce and go on the ride with him. I needn't fill up the shopping cart with his snacks. Without any disruption, I have all the time to select Skinny jeans, long belted cardigans, cropped jackets, embellished tops....and much more :D
Pasta is a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. The sauce has vegetables, milk and butter. They get a full serving of veggies and nutrients easily from this recipe.
I was amazed the way he sat down and finished the whole plate the first time i introduced pasta.
So here it goes..My Mushroom sauce recipe has evolved over these months.
I call it the Veggie sauce.
* 6-7 thinly sliced mushrooms, 2 grated baby carrots, 1/2 cup thinly chopped spinach
* 1½ CUP milk
* 1 Tbsp butter
* 1 Tbsp flour
* olive oil
* salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
* 2 Tbsp Cream
1. Heat a little olive oil and melt the butter in it.
2. Add the vegetables and saute until they are soft.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. Add the flour and pour in the milk.
5. Mix the ingredients together, stirring continuously.
6. Return the pan to a medium heat and cook the sauce, stirring constantly until it thickens.
7. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 - 8 minutes.
8. Turn the heat down and stir in the cream and nutmeg.
I normally use tomato puree, but last week i tried this Giada's (food n/w) marinara sauce recipe while making it for myself and hubby. So i added the same for the kids version and of course with less pepper.
* Olive oil
* 1 small onions, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
* 2 big crushed tomatoes
* 2 dried bay leaves
In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)
* 1 cup Pasta (I used 'Penne' as my son was bored of macaroni)
* 5 cups water
In a pot bring the water to a boil.
You can add salt to the water if you wish.
Add the pasta.
Stir occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking together.
Drain the pasta in a colander.
Mix the pasta with Marinara sauce and Veggie sauce.
He says 'Sauce is yummy mamma'